26 Mar Forestry Manager
Yucwmenlúcwu (Caretakers of the Land) LLP, and its forestry department are wholly owned by the Splatsin band. Yucwmenlúcwu has an exciting opportunity for a Forestry Manager. The Forestry Manager oversees Yucwmenlúcwu Forestry employees, licenses, license obligations, contracts, and the day-to-day operations of the Forestry Department. This position requires someone with strong business management capabilities to directly conduct all matters related to growing our forestry business interests in our traditional territory.
Scope and Authority:
Reporting to the Yucwmenlúcwu General Manager (Operations), the Forestry Manager will be responsible for a safe, profitable, and environmentally sustainable approach to works within the department. The Forestry Manager will supply information and reports as requested to the General Manager for reporting to the CEO of
SDC. The Forestry Manager is required to manage cut control an d keep all related licence and professional requirements current.
Qualifications and Requirements
1. Minimum of 5+ years working experience as a Registered Professional Forester (RPF) or Registered
Forest Technologist (RFT) and registered with the Association of British Columbia Forest Professionals.
2. Valid Drivers L i cense.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Key Responsibilities
- Overseeing the Forestry Department at Yucwmenlúcwu.
- Strategic planning of harvest volume.
- Log marketing.
- Development a nd expansion of Yucwmenlúcwu business relationships.
- Filling of staffing requirements including interviews, hiring, training, performance review and QC.
- Forest Stewardship Planning and business administration.
- Management of operational planning requirements including site plans and reporting.
- Contract administration.
- Departmental budgeting and cost management.
- Harvesting and Road Construction supervision.
2. Technical Knowledge
- Working knowledge of legal regulations and requirements applicable to the BC Forest Industry .
- Direct forestry experience in tenure management, development, and planning .
- Tenure administration and forestry permitting including appraisal submissions .
- In-depth knowledge of Forest Management techniques and logging principles .
- Skill and understanding of log marketing variables and procedures .
- Silviculture planning, implementation, tracking and reporting .
3. Organization and Leadership Skills
- Development planning, supervision, and oversight of field crews .
- Excellent leadership, communication, and project management skills .
- Active participation at a senior level in a safe, healthy, and progressive corporate environment .
- Ability to work independently and manage a flexible schedule with some travel time included .
4. Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Strong communication skills for First Nation and stakeholder engagement .
- Proven communication skills to provide expert forest management advice .
- Able to work within a company environment that has diverse stewardship and cultural priorities .
5. Company Stewardship and Business Development
- Able to actively participate in First Nation and stakeholder communications .
- Collaborate and contribute on strategic planning .
- Understand and participate in business developments that contribute to the formation and maintenance of strong, long-term business partnerships .
Other Requisite Requirements:
1. High energy team player .
2. Demonstrates good judgement .
3. Takes initiative .
If you are a reliable, team player that enjoys a dynamic work environment, competitive salary and benefit package and an opportunity to share your skills and talents, we would like to hear from you.
Pursuant to section 16 of the Canadian Human Rights Act preference may be given to applicants of aboriginal ancestry.