12 Apr Civil Construction Superintendent
Website Meraki Resources
Highbridge Human Capital is delighted to be working with Meraki Resources in a search for a temporary full time Superintendent to join their team to lead a civil road construction project in Telkwa, British Columbia in Spring/Summer 2021.
Meraki Resources is a BC-based, diversified group of companies that offers fully comprehensive, community-oriented resource management and development solutions. Their key business areas are civil construction, woodlands management, professional forestry, harvesting, forestry road construction, log hauling, log sales, and heavy-duty equipment and truck service and parts. While the companies are run autonomously, they are united by their commitment to quality and continuous improvement.
In this vital role, the Superintendent will supervise and coordinate the execution of a road construction project near Telkwa, British Columbia. This project will run from approximately May 2021 to September 2021. The Superintendent will take on the key project management role, ensuring the successful execution of the contract and timely delivery of established milestones. The Superintendent will build open and constructive relationships with the project’s key stakeholders including project sponsors, consultants, the Environmental Monitor, Meraki management, operations and admin teams.
A day in the life of the Superintendent – what you will do:
Applying your civil construction knowledge, skills and experience, you’ll oversee the supervision of the day-to-day field operations of the Tewlka, BC road construction project. You will be responsible for the production aspects of the work and will be accountable for producing quality work that is consistent with project standards and contract documents (ie, MMCD, MOTI or other standards). Working in a timely and cost-effective manner, you’ll ensure the work environment is safe, clean and orderly.
As an external face of the company, you’ll establish a professional work environment that fosters a positive atmosphere, promoting proactive and effective communication, facilitating problem solving and minimizing and resolving conflict in a constructive manner. Your strong project management skills combined with your ability to manage any day-to-day workforce concerns will ensure the successful delivery of this project.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Responsible for the successful execution and implementation of the contract requirements.
· Completes all project compliance and reporting activities.
· Coordinates the activities of supervisors, equipment operators, and subcontractors.
· Works closely with the project stakeholders – adapt to any changes arising during the project.
Human Resource Functions
· Responsible for communicating and enforcing site rules regarding safety procedures to all project staff with a focus on new and young workers.
· Approving daily timecards for payroll entry; approving time off requested for project workers.
· Preparing the work schedule and coordinating project resources.
· Ensure that only qualified people operate certain pieces of equipment or power tools.
· Participate in the hiring and performance management processes as per established company policies and processes.
Supervise Construction Activities
· Supervise foremen, who in turn supervise the workers.
· Superintendent to inspect work performed by employees, other contractors and sub-contractors to ensure it meets project standards.
· Perform weekly toolbox meetings and ensure all project activities are WSBC compliant.
· Ensure all equipment is being properly maintained by allowing time for servicing.
Cost Accounting Functions
· As the project progresses, monitor expenses to ensure that they are meeting the project budget.
· Track the inventory of supplies and materials to ensure inventories are correct for the size of the project.
· Comprehensive knowledge of and adherence to the Company’s safety management system, policies and relevant OH&S legislation.
· Ensures all workers are educated to work in a safe manner and are using all protective devices and procedures required to maintain their health and safety.
· Reports all accidents immediately, investigates all accidents fully, and advises the management team in the prevention of similar accident.
· Reports all near misses and damage to the General Manager.
· Carries out hazard assessments and regular inspections of the workplace and ensure a safe and healthy environment.
· As Superintendent you are considered a figurehead for our company, you are expected to act accordingly and consistently with the Company’s core values. This also extends to non-work hours.
· As Superintendent you will have respect for employees, while ensuring to successfully motivate project staff to perform at their best.
· Absolutely no drugs or alcohol will be allowed on our worksites or company vehicles.
· The Superintendent is responsible for protection of the environment as per our Company Policy.
Our “must haves”:
· Minimum 10 years of experience in a civil construction.
· Two to three years’ experience as project manager.
· 3-5 years proven experience in a supervisory position.
· Experience in all stages of civil construction including budget and cost control, scheduling and contract documentation.
· Fosters connection by putting people first and building trusting relationships.
· Proven work ethic with utmost integrity.
· Extraordinary organizational and time management skills; ability to leverage technology.
· Proactive and solution oriented.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills with strong attention to detail.
What makes you great:
· You are an expert managing time and budgets to plan and resource and are comfortable being accountable for the project’s success.
· You are a confident, thorough individual and will see a job through to conclusion.
· You have the proven ability to multitask and prioritize.
· You are an experienced, reliable professional with the ability to coordinate the logistics of projects.
· You are self-motivated, passionate, empathetic, approachable.
· You are skilled in project management: highly organized, proactive, detail and deadline oriented with the ability to handle multiple priorities at once.
· You possess strong communication skills.
· You have a knack for problem-solving.
· You are an excellent team player with a flexible approach, responding positively to any reasonable request and have the ability to work independently.
· Meals and accommodation for the contract duration.
· Company vehicle.
· Competitive compensation.
NOTE: Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted. Please accept our utmost appreciation for your interest. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on merit and business needs, and not on race, color, creed, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, provincial and local laws and ordinances. Reasonable accommodation is available for qualified individuals with disabilities, upon request. This Equal Employment Opportunity policy applies to all practices relating to recruitment and hiring, compensation, benefits, discipline, transfer, termination and all other terms and conditions of employment. While management is primarily responsible for seeing that equal employment opportunity policies are implemented, you share in the responsibility for assuring that, by your personal actions, the policies are effective.